* 3 l (3000 ml) black currant leaves
* 3 lemons, washed and sliced
* 1 1/2 l (1500 ml) boiling water
* 60 g citric acid
* 2 l (2000 ml) sugar
1. Dissolve sugar in boiling water.
2. Stir until all sugar is dissolved.
3. Cook for about 10 minutes.
4. Add citric acid.
5. Put leaves and lemon slices in layers into a large kettle.
6. Pour the syrup of sugar on top and leave it in a cool place for 5 days.
7. Strain things out.
8. Pour into plastic containers and freeze.
This is a summer cooler in the northern part of Sweden , where we don't have black elder. (Black elder can be grown in southern Sweden, but not in northern part due to severe vinters). Black currant leaves (Ribes nigrum) have a delicious scent. This is as good as elderflower syrup - almost identical in taste. To drink, put a lemon slice in a glass, add about 1/3 of syrup, and pour in water. Ah......
NB! Link to 4 metric conversions in the sidebar.
Link to the Swedish recipe 4 Svartvinbärsbladdryck
Update May 30, 2008.
One of my favorite drinks to have during this time of year! It should be ready in 5 days.
11 hours ago